About The Maker
When I first read this quote, I thought "Yes!" Creativity pushes us past the boundaries of our brains to concieve what isn't yet in existence. I've always enjoyed being a creative person - knitting, crafting...there have just never been enough hours in the day!
I started my candle business in 2013 after creating so many candles that I couldn't gift them away. It was a friend who told me "You're so creative. Have you ever thought about going into business for yourself?" That's when BOOM! Everything pulled together and I had my plan.
Truthfully, I enjoy the entire process - finding the perfect color to match the scent, finding the perfect vessel for a quality product. I even enjoy the process of running the business, how to find the words to market these scents to the world and how to fine tune our efficiencies.
What are my top five favorite fragrances?
- Conundrum (Lavender and Cinnamon - trust me on this)
- Lotus Santal
- Vanilla Bourbon
- Coastal Breeze
- Mistletoe and Ivy
Our company took off when I moved to Columbia, Maryland to be with my fiance (Richard, now VP of Awesome!), and we rebranded to The Columbia Fragrance Co. Word got out about our Walt's Wonderful World products of Green Clover and Aloe, and there's been no turning back!
In early 2020, I was inspired by my customers to create a new subscription box featuring our Reminiscent Collection fragrances. This became our new Scent By Mickey subscription box and product line. We plan a year of monthly themes, pair them with a unique gift, and then I work to find the scent and fragrance products which fit. Making this box an experience for our customers has brought a new level of joy for me, especially as I watch the happiness it brings to our customers. The days we mail Scent By Mickey boxes are truly the happiest of the month!
What do I do for fun when I'm not candling?
- I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the beach. The quiet, the sand, the smells, the sun, the napping, and a good book. Oh yeah - I also enjoy watching sand crabs while enjoying my first cup of coffee for the day.
- I've recommitted to yoga and surprised myself with newfound strength and mental acuity.
- I'm a history buff currently writing my family stories and genealogy.
- I'm also an advanced knitter. My current passion is shawls and ponchos.